Wednesday, June 20, 2012

holiday in europe

Can I just say how much I LOVE to travel? It really is my passion. I love to explore new places, eat delicious food, and learn about different cultures. So, for our latest adventure we went to Europe! I have been to a lot of countries in Western Europe but I've never been to Italy, Greece, or Turkey and have always wanted to go there. My parents have always said how much they love those countries so Isaac and I set out to find out what the big deal was :)

We spent a week travelling in Italy with just the two of us. We flew into Milan, and then took trains (I love trains!!) to Florence and Rome. I have always wanted to see the Last Supper, which is in Milan. It did not disappoint! You have to get tickets like 6 months in advance, as they only let in 25 people at a time for 15 minutes. It was amazing! 

Our next stop was Florence. If you ever go to Italy, you HAVE to go to Florence. It was by far my favorite city on our Italy part of the trip. It is what you imagine when you think of typical Italian streets and culture. The Duomo there was my favorite, and we climbed the bell tower next to it and had the most beautiful views of Italian countryside. 

Then, by the end of the week we made it to Rome. Our first day we we did the Vatican, Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, and Pantheon. Our second day we did Old Rome, which is the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill. My favorite parts of Rome were St. Peter's Basilica and seeing the Colosseum at night when it was all lit up. Here we met up with the rest of the gang that went on the cruise! It was so fun to reunite with everyone on the other side of the world!

The cruise was a week long and SO much fun! We haven't done a cruise as a vacation before so it was different for sure. I don't think I'd want to do a cruise with just Isaac and me because it was too much fun to do everything with friends and family. We played lots of sports on the sports deck, ate lots of ice cream, and played spoons and sardines. On the cruise we stopped in Sicily (so pretty! I could stay there for a week!), Ephesus (My parents have raved about Ephesus and it lived up to expectations. This was by far my favorite stop on the cruise. I can't wait to go back!), Athens (WOW! and the food was fantastic!), and Crete. We did all the touristy things like see the Acropolis, go to a Turkish rug place (a must see, it was amazing!) and go to the beach in Crete. I think a cruise was a great way to see a little bit of each country and now we can't wait to go back and spend more time in each place.

I could go on and on about our trip because it was just that great. We ate about 60 euros worth of gelato, had some of the best ravioli and pizza ever, got a little sun burnt, saw world wonders, and had the best time ever!
The Duomo in Milan
 Pizza! So yummy and so cheap!
 The duomo in Florence
 Ponte Vecchio, in Florence
 Looking out over Florence
 St. Peter's Square, Vatican City
 Trevi Fountain, Rome
 Colosseum, Rome
 Our boat!
 Sicily, Italy

 Ephesus, Turkey
 Eating a delicious lunch in Turkey
 The amazing rugs in Turkey
 The Parthenon, Athens
 At the beach in Crete

 The Sebourns that went on the cruise :)

No comments: