Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Twister!

Nope, not the fun game. Actual twisters! Yesterday I got my first taste of Oklahoma weather: Tornados. This isn't my first tornado though... Last March Isaac and I flew out to Atlanta from Utah for the SEC basketball tournament. The Kentucky game was just minutes from starting so there weren't many people outside and we were waiting for my dad to come give us our tickets. It had stormed a bit earlier but it had stopped raining and was clearing up on our walk down to the game. All of a sudden a HUGE tornado started up and touched down RIGHT WHERE WE WERE. I was OUTSIDE huddled in a corner with my sister, my cousin, and my friend Angela and a few other random people. It was an F2 tornado that ripped up downtown. It was the scariest thing that had ever happened to me.


On Monday the weather man said we would have bad weather on Tuesday, with the possibility of tornados. So of course I was freaked out, especially because I would be at work and Isaac would be at school. It started getting dark about 2:00 in the afternoon so I turned on my boss' TV to listen to the weatherman. It kept getting worse and worse and the rotations of the clouds were getting stronger. It tore up a Chuck E. Cheese and Target on the West side of OKC and then touched down about 5 miles north of where I work (Edmond, OK). I watched the tornado live as it touched down in Edmond and got so scared. But hey, at least I was inside this time! :) Nobody died in Edmond, but 8 people died down in Lone Grove which is in the southern part of Oklahoma. And this was abnormal weather for Oklahoma! I sure can't wait for tornado season... AH!

this is a picture from a neighborhood that got hit just north of my work.

2 comments:

Ariel said...

Holy cow! I'm glad you are ok! Once when I was in western KY visiting family a tornado hit, took my favorite my little pony house and threw over a mile away.

Sandy Buffington said...

I would have totally freaked out! We are so glad that you guys are ok!