"In Kentucky, we care more about basketball than you do. In fact, we care more about basketball more than you care about anything" - Kentucky Sports Radio
"Apparently the University of Kentucky basketball dynasty is to continue forever." - Philadelphia Inquirer, December 23 1954.
"I'd just as soon freeze to death." - Actress Ashley Judd relating a story of being offered a University North Carolina jacket on a chilly movie set. - Lexington Herald Leader, August 15, 1996.
"When you see Kentucky's fans, you just wonder. You think how wonderful it would be to go to their school. You wish you could trade places for a day, just so you could experience that feeling." - UCLA player Kris Johnson
"They had it before you, they had it during you, they'll have it when you're gone"...." - Al McGuire on Kentucky Basketball Tradition
My beloved Kentucky Wildcats season has come to an end. This year though, it ended only how 7 other seasons have.. with a win for the NCAA National Championship! The last time we won it all I was 10 years old. I remember it very well, as only a true die hard fan would at that age. Along with the Big Blue Nation, I have [not so] patiently waited for banner #8 to come to Lexington. We have had very successful teams along the way, but this year was different. It was special. You could feel that magic was going to happen. This team, comprised of probably 6 first round draft picks and others who could go in later rounds, had the team-first, me-last mentality. They wanted to share the ball, share the glory, and were as selfless as any team I have ever watched. We have the National Player of the Year in Anthony Davis, who takes the 4th most shots on the team. We have a Senior in Darius Miller who, so deserving of a starting spot, gave it up to a freshman and became our 6th man. Our top 6 players in the rotation averaged double figures in scoring, something that has never been done before.
I LOVE this team. I LOVE these boys. And I LOVE Coach Cal, who knows exactly how to coach the team with the craziest, most passionate fans in the world. When I try to explain what Kentucky basketball means to the Commonwealth, I don't know exactly how to say it. In Kentucky, some people don't have the easiest lives: coal miners, farmers, and the like. Then there are those who have gained riches from a lucrative horse racing career or owners of successful businesses. But there has always been one constant, shining light in everyone's lives, and that is Kentucky Basketball. It unites the poorest poor, and the richest rich. It gives us something to hold onto during the tough times in our lives. Men, women and children LOVE the Wildcats. UK is THE team in Kentucky, and it's all or nothing for the fans. [there is that pesky little brother named Louisville that a handful of people cheer for]
I cried as we beat Louisville to have the chance to play for a national title. And as the final seconds ticked off the clock Monday night, my eyes immediately welled up and as I buried my head in my hands, I felt relief, happiness, excitement, pride and every other wonderful memory of being a Wildcat fan. It has been a long time coming. Winning never felt this good.
GO BIG BLUE.

[Banner #8 - 2012 Champions!]


[At the UK v. UofL game in Dec.]

[At the 2012 SEC tourney in New Orleans with my good friend Chelsea]

[At my best friend's wedding. C-A-T-S CATS, CATS, CATS!]
...is it time to camp out for Big Blue Madness yet?
2 comments:
I love this post! Kentucky Basketball is just the best.
Awesome post!!! I whole heartedly believe and support it all. Last night as amazing! So fun to be in Lexington for the big game. I'm back in az now wearing my tshirt with pride!!!! Go big blue!!!!
Post a Comment