Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Air Force?

This past Monday the Air Force recruiter came to the OUHSC to talk to the dental students about the option to be in the Air Force after school. The biggest benefit would be that all of our tuition would be paid for (and it's out of state, which is not very cheap), we would recieve a monthly stipend for living expenses, free healthcare, etc. So yes, it would seem obvious to do it, based on the great finacial benefits. BUT, I don't want my husband to be shipped off to the Middle East and die. OK, that probably wouldn't happen, he would only be working on a base and the longest he could get sent off would be for 6 months. So basically, we would owe the Air Force 3 years after Isaac finishes school. We would move to where ever they need us (you get to put your top three places of where you would prefer to go). We still have a lot of questions and will have to pray about it, but right now it seems like we are leaning towards that option. If you know anyone who has done it, or heard things from people, please let us know! We would love the insight!

7 comments:

The White Family said...

Hey Leanne, I was so excited to hear from you!! It's so nice to be able to keep in touch through blogs, huh? I'm a new blogger too so you're not the only one! I love your blog, it was fun to see all your cute pictures. Cory says Hi!

Sandy Buffington said...

Good luck in making your decision. Let us know what you decide. Plus, we will pray for you guys too. :)

Regs said...

I know several people who did med school through the Air Force, and they seem to be pretty positive about their experience. I'm also pretty familiar with the Air Force. Three years post-school is pretty doable, really. I'm pro-AF, after dating Air Force guys for about 5 years. :-) Good luck with your decision, though. It's a tough one!!!

Laura said...

If Blair had been a permanent resident (he's canadian) when he was a Freshman, he totally would have done it. It's a huge HUGE thing to not have student loans to pay off when you get out. I'm not shy, so I'll tell you...we will be almost $300,000 in debt by the time we graduate. We have almost no hope to pay that off before 10 years out, so 3 years out seems sooo short. Obviously pray about it, but definitely know that if we could have, we would have.

{Elyse} said...

Yay, Im glad to see that you guys joined the blogging world! Now we can keep in touch better! We miss you guys and were sad that you couldn't come for Steve and Meg's wedding :[

Kelli said...

Aaron joined the Army when he was 18 and it was SO nice to have his out of state tuition paid for in full! All the men in his family are also in the Army and it's been good for all of us. I'm not going to lie though... it can be hard. My father in law was in Iraq for a year, and my brother in law will be leaving this month for his second tour over there. I know my husband will eventually have to go, too. It makes me sad but at the same time I wouldn't change a thing! I'm very proud to be a military wife and the benefits are worth it to us in the long run!

Sorry this comment is forever long! You guys will make the right decision! Good luck!

Jeri said...

So, you totally don't know me. I clicked on your blog becasue I thought it was Noah & Melissa's, but wanted to let you know that my brother-in-law was a doctor in the Air Force. He loved it and really feels like it was the best decision he could have made for his family. He is now in a practice with three other docs and he is the only one with no school debt. The rest, who are older than him by 5-10 years, have between 3-8 years left on loans. Just wanted to let you know that there are sucess stories out there. Good luck with your decision.